Systems Engineer – Farmington Hills, MI
Posted on December 10, 2021
Responsible for working to continually improve availability, response time, and overall performance of systems supported by the 7×24 Data Center. Supports AIX & UNIX & LINUX operating systems technology and the various tasks and services related to server infrastructure support. Maintains professional business relations with clients and outside contacts. Keeps management well informed of area activities.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Creates and provides user profiles within Symitar.
- Provides service-level maintenance and quality assurance.
- Provides technical phone support for server users and developers.
- Troubleshoots application-level issues.
- Provides server back-up and recovery support for server infrastructure issues which require vendor interaction and research.
- Investigates alternative design approaches to determine best solutions to a problem, taking into account customer’s needs, subsequent modification and resources.
- Develops and maintains any required systems documentation and processes.
- Responsible for installing and configuring systems where required.
- Responsible for administration of main banking (SYMITAR) system and internet banking platform.
- Responsible for understanding process administration, file maintenance, advanced troubleshooting, and fundamental understanding of TCP/IP networks.
- Provides suggestions in the development of IT strategies and policies.
- Ensures that new systems support customer needs.
- Obtains and conveys information as needed.
- Promotes goodwill and a positive image of the Company.
- Tracks and resolves customer problems promptly and effectively.
- Assists personnel in other departments to increase understanding of system operations and effectively integrate new technology.
- Keeps management well informed of area activities and of any significant problems.
- Coordinates, plans and processes all daily, monthly, quarterly, and annual production activities within data center operation.
- Ensures that reports are completed accurately and timely.
- Attends meetings as required.
- Manages all issues of assigned responsibility within the help desk tracking system governed by service level agreements.
- Performs miscellaneous projects as assigned and all other duties as required.
- Updates technical skills as required.
- Assesses disaster situations, threats, and risks and identifies primary areas of vulnerability.
- Researches recovery methods and recommends appropriate solutions for data storage, backup, and retrieval.
- Ensures appropriate mechanisms are in place to protect network connections and servers.
- Establishes backup power sources.
- Develops network recovery and relocation plans, as well as replacement options.
- Works with disaster recovery committee to develop a thorough IT disaster recovery plan.
- Makes necessary changes to the written IT disaster recovery plan as business environment changes and new risks develop.
- Annually reviews applicable aspects of the IT disaster recovery plan and makes adjustments as needed.
- Develops and implements IT disaster recovery training for company personnel.
- Assumes responsibility for all other duties as required or assigned.
Minimum Education & Experience Requirements
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Experience installing, using and maintaining Veritas products or similar backup software.
- 4 or more years of experience of AIX/LINUX administration (especially IBM AIX certification or
- 2 or more years of experience in website modification and maintenance.
- 2 or more years of experience with Perl/Shell Scripting.
- Knowledge of network operations and all related computer hardware and software.
- Knowledge of database reporting, user access control, security models, and backup processes.
- Knowledge of AIX Operating Systems and overall infrastructure.
- In-depth knowledge of UNIX.
- Knowledge of and experience with TCP/IP functionality/concepts.
- Knowledge of Storage Area Networks/Network Attached Storage, specifically the hardware
- and software maintenance and configuration.
- Understanding of Company operations and output requirements.
- Strong customer service skills and willingness to assist others.
- Able to communicate complex information clearly.
- Attentive to detail.
- Strong problem-solving abilities.
- Able to coordinate well with other departments and personnel.
- Ability to operate network server, computer tape drive, and other business equipment.
- No hazardous or significantly unpleasant conditions (such as in a typical office).
- Additional hours, including Saturday/Sunday support, as required.
- Occasional travel overnight for training and conferences.
- Long duration of computer workstation usage.
- When designated primary or secondary in on-call rotation, available 24/7 via phone or pager.
To apply for a posted position, please click here.
Member Driven Technologies is an equal opportunity employer. We hire individuals on the basis of ability, experience, education, intelligence, and character. Member Driven Technologies does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, color, sex, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, height or weight, marital or protected veteran status, genetic information, disability status, or otherwise to the full extent of all applicable laws. Our equal employment opportunity policy applies to all of our employment practices, including hiring, training, advancement, discipline, and compensation.