AIX Systems Engineer I – Great Falls, MT
Posted on October 7, 2019
This position is responsible for working with the technical team to continually improve availability,
response time and overall performance of systems supported by the 7×24 data centers. The AIX
Systems Engineer supports Linux & UNIX (AIX) operating systems technology and the various tasks
and services related to server infrastructure support. The AIX Systems Engineer maintains
professional business relations with clients and outside contacts and keeps management well
informed of area activities.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for administration of AIX and Episys financial application.
- Troubleshoots hardware and operating system level issues.
- Responsible for understanding process administration, file maintenance, advanced troubleshooting, and fundamental understanding of TCP/IP networks.
- Coordinate, plan and process all daily, monthly, quarterly, and annual production activities within data center operation.
- Provision and build new Linux systems.
- Configure and maintain additional software under Linux (MariaBD, OpenSSH, Apache HTTPD, etc.).
- Perform AIX Operating System and Episys application updates and upgrades.
- Perform updates to ancillary applications as needed.
- Troubleshoot hardware and operating system level issues.
- Migrate existing systems to new hardware.
- Maintain systems to meet security and compliance requirements.
- Provide server back-up and recovery support for server infrastructure issues.
- Investigate alternative design approaches to determine best solutions to a problem, taking into account client needs, subsequent modifications, and resources.
- Provide suggestions in the development of IT strategies and policies.
- Ensure that new systems support client needs.
- Develop and maintain required systems documentation and processes.
- Manage all issues of assigned responsibility within the help desk tracking system.
- Track and resolve client problems promptly and effectively.
- Establish and maintain professional working relationships with clients, suppliers, and outside contacts.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
Minimum Experience & Education Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Knowledge of network operations and all related computer hardware and software.
- Knowledge of Linux Operating Systems (preferably Redhat based).
- Knowledge of and experience with TCP/IP functionality and concepts.
Preferred Knowledge & Experience
- Knowledge of SAN/NAS storage, specifically the hardware and software maintenance and configuration.
- Programming skills: Bash/Khs scripting, Perl, Python, etc.
- Knowledge of virtualization concepts.
- Knowledge of UNIX Operating Systems (Preferably IBM AIX).
- Experience in website modification and maintenance.
- Knowledge of database software, user access control, security models, and backup processes.
- Strong customer service skills and willingness to assist others.
- Ability to operate network server, computer tape drive, and other business equipment.
- Ability to communicate complex information clearly.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to coordinate well with other departments and personnel.
- No hazardous or significantly unpleasant conditions (such as in a typical office).
- Additional hours including Saturday/Sunday support, as required.
- Occasional travel overnight for training and conferences.
- Long duration of computer workstation usage.
- Available 24/7 schedule on call, via phone or pager.
To apply for a posted position, please click here.
The compensation is based on experience and offers a base salary plus bonus opportunities. We offer BCBS benefits, dental, disability and life insurance at 90 days and 401K after one year.
Member Driven Technologies is an equal opportunity employer. We hire individuals on the basis of ability, experience, education, intelligence, and character. Member Driven Technologies does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, color, sex, religion, age, marital status, national origin, height, weight, handicap, citizenship status, or otherwise to the full extent of all applicable laws. Our equal employment opportunity policy applies to all our employment practices, including hiring, training, advancement, discipline, and compensation.